If you haven’t reviewed the key changes to the Direct Debit Guide and Rules for 2021, we would encourage you to do so at your earliest opportunity.
Bacs have summarised seven of the key changes below and advised that when reviewing the amendment you are interested in, it would be beneficial to also refer to the relevant section in the Guide and Rules to ensure you fully understand what has changed:
- Section 3B.1: validation and verification checks must also be undertaken by Paperless Direct Debit service users when an existing customer contacts them directly to provide alternative account details
- Section 4B.1: service users wishing to collect a Direct Debit on the last day of the month may advise their customers in the advance notice
- Section 4B.4: clarification that notification must be sent to the payer each time when providing advance notice via a secure website
- Section 7A.5A: evidence required in the Direct Debit indemnity claim challenge process should include sufficient information as the paying payment service provider (PSP) may reasonably require for validation purposes
- Section 11B.1: clarification regarding segregation of funds by a facilities management (FM) provider
- Section 14A: reconfirmation of customer’s account details when signing customers to Paperless Direct Debit via telephone
- Section 8A.3C and Essentials of Using Bacs: clarification that bureau staff cannot be a primary security contact (PSC) for the service user number (SUN).
The changes are also listed at the beginning of the Guide and Rules, which can be accessed here.
To access the Guide and Rules you will need to log onto a password protected area of the site, if you haven’t already registered for a password then you can do so here.